Michael Burnett has been included by Texas Super Lawyers in the Top 100 attorneys in Texas, a very rare and prestigious distinction. Michael is Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and he focuses his practice on complicated, high asset marital estates and significant and contentious custody cases.
Michael is an experienced trial lawyer in the areas of both family and commercial law. He spent his first decade of legal practice in complex commercial and business litigation, giving him a unique advantage in dealing with marital estates involving valuation, tracing, and characterization issues. Michael is the only family lawyer in the Austin area to be named to the Top 100 attorneys in Texas.
In addition to being named as a Top 100 attorney in Texas, Michael is listed in the 2015 - 2017 editions of the The Best Lawyers in America by Woodward White for his work in the areas of Family Law and Commercial Litigation. Michael has also been selected by Thomson Reuters to the Texas Super Lawyers every year from 2011 to 2016, and in 2015 & 2016 was additionally honored as one of the Top 50 Central/West Texas Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters.
Michael has developed a focused, tough and tenacious style while serving as lead counsel in a number of high profile cases throughout the state of Texas. His clients have included the chairman of one of America’s most successful private equity firms, a former Texas lieutenant governor, a head college coach, and scores of other successful business owners, entrepreneurs, executives, public officials, doctors, lawyers, and their spouses. In addition to his trial practice, Michael has successfully represented clients in appeals before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and Texas Courts of Appeals.
Outside the office, Michael enjoys spending time with his wife and their three children. His other interests include running and watching college sports.
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas – J.D., 1994
- The University of Texas at Austin – B.A., 1991
Licenses, Certifications & Bar Admissions
- Board Certified – Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2011
- Supreme Court of Texas, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Federal District Courts: Northern, Southern, and Western Districts
- Law Clerk for The Honorable Royal Furgeson, U.S. District Judge, El Paso, Texas, 1994-1995
Honors & Awards
- Selected for The Best Lawyers in America in Family Law, 2015 - 2017
- Selected for The Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation – 2016, 2017
- Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, as published in Super Lawyers Magazine and Texas Monthly Magazine, 2011 – 2016
- Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, Top 50 Central/West Texas Super Lawyers, 2015 – 2016
- Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, Top 100 Texas Super Lawyers, 2016
- Texas Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, as published in Texas Monthly Magazine, 2005, 2008-2009
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- AVVO Superb Rated Attorney
Professional & Community Involvement
- Texas Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- Austin Family Law Advocates
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Bar Foundation
- Former Member, Standing Committee on Professionalism, State Bar of Texas
- Former Member, The Arc of the Capital Area, Ambassador’s Council
- Former Board Member, Easter Seals of Central Texas
- The Admirals Club of Austin
- St. David’s Episcopal Church